I don't understand why I love art revolving around dancers so much, but I do. My very first design, which was done just over a year ago now as part of an interview process, incorporated a significantly modified version of the picture below. I was hooked.
I have fallen in love with artwork related to dancers. So when, in Mary Stewart's Launching the Imagination, the author begins discussing shapes - instantly I thought of an art exhibit opening my friend and I went to in Seattle. I wish I could remember the name of the photographer because his work was great but unfortunately I only remember the work. In the series he was working on he used different dancers and had them posing one at a time in different natural settings from around the world. By utilizing different natural features in their poses, as the motion in the pictures (created by their various stances) got more and more intense the dancers became less and less distinguished from their environments and more and more connected with the natural features in their surroundings (which also seemed to bring some of the features themselves into motion). The picture may be considered representational but the poses the dancers held were abstract, even to the point of seeming "pure form".
The painting below (an actual abstract by Pat Carroll) captures a similar quality and also incorporates some awesome texture.


No comments:
Post a Comment