I was looking through some old textbooks and found one from a rhetorics course I took my first semester at WSU Tri-Cities. The book is Picture This by Molly Bang. The book basically tries to answer the question: How can shapes, color, and composition make us feel the way things look? It's a great (and easy) read and I remember it being super useful in learning to analyze visual texts because it gives some insight into how we interpret shapes and colors without even realizing it. An example would be the cover, pictured below, we sense danger because of the sharp white teeth of the animal with red eyes. But, we might overlook the sense of uncertainty created by the "trees" not all standing vertical, or the animal being so much bigger than the small animal that looks to almost be "hiding" behind a tree.

No comments:
Post a Comment